banner

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Ryan meets his birthmother

Are you more shocked that I'm posting on my blog, or that Ryan met his birthmother?  I know, it's been a while.  Try sharing 1 computer with a 17 yr old.  Between his school and his online games and network I have to fight for time to get on.

2 weeks ago I took Ryan to AL to meet his birthmother for the first time.  It was a really good trip.  We were all excited and nervous beforehand, but it went very well.  Here are some pics:
Minutes after their first hug.  They were too fast for me and I didn't even have my camera, let alone was out of the car when she got to him, so I missed the hug!
His 17th birthday was the previous week, so she had a birthday party and barbecue for him.
We went to a nearby park to take pictures and Ryan was posing to stiffly in them.  I said "Ryan, it's okay to put your arm around her!" so he did.  It was hot and I was getting very short of breath walking around so I told them I'd wait in the car and for them to walk around by themselves.


I wanted to find our motel before it was dark and invited her to come over to visit with us.

Ryan, showing her a video clip on his MP3.  The two of them sat on one bed and I sat on another and we visited for about 3 hours before I took her home.

The next morning we picked her up and went to the Helen Keller house.  It was amazing!

Helen's actual bed she slept in, her dresser and in the front corner is her little school desk.  In her actual room.  I've been to a lot of historical houses that had replica's, but this was all the original places and pieces.
The room and table where Helen threw food and grabbed from other's plates with her hands to cram in her mouth.

The pump!  Need I say more?

Annie Sullivan's quarters where she took Helen for 2 wks to see what progress she could make away from the family.

After we left the Helen Keller home we took Jackie, Ryan's birthmother, to lunch, then we had to leave.  They both cried a lot when we left and that was the hardest for me.  I didn't know what Ryan was thinking and I felt very insecure for about 12 hours, but then we talked and I don't feel so insecure anymore.

Next blog I will tell about what I did to my knee last week, that had me in the ER for 4 hours.  Don't worry, I won't show the nasty before picture that's on my phone.  Just the "after" shot!

2 comments:

  1. First - I have to tell you I'm so glad to hear from you. I've been worrying about the silence from you!
    Second - I'm proud of you for bringing Ryan to meet his birthmom. That had to be hard. Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a packed full, amazing post! I think I read everything I could get ahold of on helen keller as a child,,,just could not get enough of hearing about her...SO was really grateful you gave us these peeks into the house!! I dont have words for your outing with Ryans birth mother...So brave and loving are you!! Such a gift...
    And thank you for all your kind , supportive words...I am a very lucky blogger to have you peek in on us!!

    ReplyDelete

I just love it when you leave me comments because it shows me that you are thinking of me and reading my blog. Thanks for being a part of my life!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools