banner

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Goals

One of the things I learned through my time at the Psych Hospital is the importance of setting up goals for dealing with my stresses.

It's important to always plan ahead of how you will react if certain things happen.  I've tried to teach my son by asking him "What will you do if someone offers you a joint?".  I told him he needs to have a plan now so he's better apt to handle it if it comes up.

Well, I have thought about each of my stressors and what I can do.  Actually, most of them there is very little I can do but I can handle them BETTER.

Finances won't change.  With the high medical costs of Cystic Fibrosis and not being able to work at a job myself, there is only so much I can do.  I don't do spending sprees, already!  But, I need to remind myself over and over that there will always be bills and that God will take care of me through ANY situation.  I will have to tell myself that A LOT.  Don't worry about things you can't change!!!!  Pray about them, tho.

We are getting marital counseling for our marriage problems.  My husband had a great wakeup call when I overdosed on the pills.  He realized how bad I was hurting and he's trying very hard to make changes in how he treats Ryan and me, plus he's getting individual counseling.

As far as Ryan goes, I'll have to take those stressors as they come.  When he has melt-downs I will call my mother or husband to discuss them, so I'm talking about them.

I will also use exercise to help with my stress level.  This will help in three areas.  #1.  I have very poor self-esteem and exercising and losing some weight will help with that.  #2.  It releases endorphins and serotonin and helps with letting go of stress.  #3.  It will help my lungs so hopefully I won't get infections quite as much and can breathe a little better.

I can't do anything about my Cystic Fibrosis and chronic sinus problems, but I can take care of myself better.

I plan to return to Pulmonary Rehab this week and will go once or twice a week, plus do some at home.  I set up my parents new Wii Fitness Plus yesterday and was watching my dad and son doing it.  It looks like fun and I would love to get it for myself if I can save up the money.  (Back to the money problem, but I'm not going to stress about that.)

Mostly, I'm going to keep my eyes on God more.  I listened to a sermon by Dr. Charles Stanley last week called The Positive Power of Joy.  I highly recommend it.  It reminded me that I had started focusing on my problems and stresses and by doing that I had taken my eyes off of God.  Joy comes from within and you can have it during any difficult times if you focus on God.

3 comments:

  1. These all sound GREAT!!! Good reminder to everyone to think of ways to handle the stress "before" it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've packed this with a lot of good advice! This is stuff that is applicable to anyone. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some very good goals and yes, can apply to anyone!

    ReplyDelete

I just love it when you leave me comments because it shows me that you are thinking of me and reading my blog. Thanks for being a part of my life!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools